Pages

Monday, July 7, 2014

Lavender Bug Bite Balm







In my previous post I mentioned that my family and I were going camping. We went with family friends of ours and much fun was had by all. We also had a TON of mosquito bites, and yet, we can't wait to do it all over again. The camping part- not the mosquito bites. As soon as we got home I mixed up a batch of my lavender bug bite balm and soon even the bug bites were a memory.



2 tbsp bentonite clay
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp witch hazel
2 drops lavender essential oil
1 drop peppermint essential oil
1 oz cosmetic jar

Mix all ingredients together to form a paste. Doesn't need to be refrigerated. Use within 30 days.

Use a Q-tip or craft stick to remove the paste from the jar so that it will have a longer shelf-life. You don't rub the paste in but apply a small layer over the bite and let it dry like a facial mask.

The clay, apple cider vinegar and witch hazel are all soothing and healing to damaged skin. Lavender and peppermint essential oil are both antiseptic, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and analgesic (pain reliever). Peppermint has the added benefit of having a cooling effect as well. Due to the properties of these ingredients this would also make an excellent sun-burn relief remedy, also.

Let's keep summer fun and irritant free- and of course, safe and green, too.


2 comments:

  1. I just used this balm after camping... I had to coat my legs and it definitely relieved me from itching and soothed my skin. Great product!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am making this for sure! I have had multiple bug sprays and they have been way to smelly for me and smelled way to much like patchuli

    ReplyDelete