Pages

Monday, October 13, 2014

Maple and Sage Whipped Dip



So a certain organic, sprouted chip company introduced a pumpkin cranberry tortilla flavor this past month. They are insanely delicious and even a huge Costco size bag does not last more than three days in my house. I must be a chip snob because I just can't wrap my head around not dipping a tortilla chip. These were also being served at my kids' birthday party and chips without dip is like Bonnie without Clyde. Where's the fun?

Multiple recipe searches later I realised that what I looking for didn't exist. How in the billions of recipes online I couldn't find a maple syrup and sage savory dip is beyond me. Why maple syrup and sage? I don't know... it just sounded like a good idea with pumpkin and cranberry.

Cream cheese as a base was a solid choice in my opinion because messing up cream cheese and maple syrup is a hard thing to do. Not that I couldn't, mind you, just that the odds were stacked in my favor. You can definitely use a non-dairy cream cheese but since this was for a party I used the real stuff. For the savory aspect, I thought a small shallot sautéed in a little butter would complement the sage nicely. I whipped up all of the above ingredients in the stand mixer for about 6 minutes and son-of-a gun, the dip was really good. (Of course it was- right? Or I wouldn't be sharing this with you.)

The ingredients in color:


Maple and Sage Whipped Dip
Living Life Granola
8oz package of cream cheese or non-dairy substitute
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 small shallot, finely diced
1/2 teaspoon sage powder
Scant amount of butter

*Please use organic ingredients when you can.

For best results, let the cream cheese come to room temperature.  Meanwhile, sauté the shallot in just enough butter to not let in stick on the bottom of the pan. Do not let it burn- 2- 3 minutes should do it.

In a stand mixer bowl, combine the softened cream cheese, maple syrup, sautéed shallot and sage. Whip on medium speed for 6 to 10 minute or until desired consistency is reached. Best served right away but can be kept in the fridge for up to a week.


If you do store the dip in the fridge, make sure to let it soften a bit before you use or your yummy chips will break off in the dip. This dip would also be great on baked sweet potatoes or in a pumpkin soup. Be creative and have fun. If you come across a really scrumptious combo, please share below!

Linked with Simply Natural Saturdays.


1 comment:

  1. This is so delicious. Thank you for posting the recipe.

    ReplyDelete