Pages

Monday, August 25, 2014

Safe Scrub for Kitchens and Baths



Growing up in my house, if you wanted something cleaned right you used Soft Scrub. Naturally, that carried over to my own home once I was grown. However, Soft Scrub is a far cry from natural:  even their baking soda formula is rated a D in safety by the Environmental Working Group. Obviously, it was time for a change.

So get ready to dust off that old box of baking soda in the back of your cabinet because, in no time at all, you will have your very own Safe Scrub. This scrub will defeat soap scum, dirty grout and tough toilet bowls just as well as the other stuff but will be better for the health of your body, planet and bank account.

You can use any old, clean squeeze bottle to store the scrub in or use a pump bottle for easy application. Since I use Ball glass jars for just about everything, I was beyond excited when I came across a Ball pump lid at my local Meijer store for $8.50. I got ridiculously excited when I realized you could buy two Ball jars for $1.50 each and get one lid accessory for free. I might have danced a little bit in the aisle but, as no one else was around, I will admit nothing except that I saved 5 bucks and added two more jars to my extensive collection.

One more thing: due to the vinegar and lemon essential oil this is not safe to use on granite. Also, even though this recipe uses all natural ingredients this is still a cleaner and should be placed where children and pets can't reach it. Now on to the recipe...

Safe Scrub for Kitchens and Baths
By Living Life Granola
1-2/3 cups baking soda
1/2 cup castile soap
1/2 cup water
2 tbsp vinegar
10 drops lemon essential oil
10 drops tea tree oil

Mix all ingredients except oils until combined. Add in oils and mix until incorporated throughout. If using a Ball jar to store in, mix everything in jar to save on dishes. If it starts to separate just shake before use. Apply to area and rinse or use a vinegar/water solution to rinse.

Safe and affordable cleaning is attainable for everyone so get out your rubber gloves and start stirring before you start scrubbing!


No comments:

Post a Comment